Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mojitos? No problems!



I used to think Mojito fun was limited to pricey cocktail bars and debaucherous birthday parties (usually mine), but in the interest of joining freshly fired bankers and hedge fund managers in the recession poverty party, I've just made one at home and it's freaking delicious.
Why haven't I done this before? It's easy-peasy! It goes like this:

Limes €1.89 for four
Bacardi €21.99 for a whole bottle (70cl)
Candarel (powdered sweetener) €1.59
Mint €1.20 (fresh mint is undeniably zingier, but dried is okay)

I got a free 'muddler' with my Bacardi (Dunnes) which was sweet. It's a dealie for mashing the ingredients in the glass, but a fork will do diddley.

Just whack half a lime (sliced), two spoons of Candarel and about six mint leaves (half a teaspoon dried mint) in a glass and mash together, add a shot of rum, another half of rum for good luck and top with ice and Club Soda.

I'm the proud owner of a Magic Bullet blender which, just to be fancy, I used to crush the ice. Garnish with a slice of lime and and a straw and wave goodbye to your worries.

By my calculations, you can get 20 cocktails from a bottle. In my local boozery, they're €8 a pop, or €160 for 20! Make them at home and you save €138... more than enough for this piece of Julien McDonald leopard print fabulousness, a steal at €78 clams from Debenhams!

No comments: